Monday 30 November 2015

Just keep running

I am not the best runner, but I feel with a sport like running, there is no need to be the best…unless you have aspirations of becoming an olympic sprinter. Sure my posture and stride could probably do with a professional review, but it’s an activity that doesn't discriminate on the basis of ability. Everyone can run, it’s just a matter of finding your style, your speed and your stride. 

And as someone who despises competitive sports and group exercise, mainly because I don’t have a competitive personality, in running, I feel like I have found my comfort zone when it comes to exercise. 

I took an executive decisions a few months ago, right around the time i turned the grand old age of 27, that i needed to review my diet and exercise regime. My relationship with food is a whole other story, but when it comes to exercise, I had become way to sedentary. With summer, and the 46 zillion degree temperatures encroaching, it probably wasn't the best time to be starting alfresco exercise but lets face it, start with the worst and it only gets better. 



But I have deduced from a series of conversations with myself, that the best way to get me engaged in exercise is to take me outside, and refer to it as activity rather than exercise. The interesting thing is, in London I never craved to be outside like I do here in Dubai. But the lifestyle here affords you the luxury of living life outside and that’s the part of my expat life that I relish everyday. I wake up and look forward to the beautiful weather, the opportunity to swim outside, walk along the marina, enjoy eating on a terrace without the need for a cardigan. And be able to run outside, feel the air and have a direction, rather than engaging in a monotonous process on a treadmill. I would rather run outside as the sun sets and drink enough to water to at least attempt to combat the dehydration that inevitably occurs when running outside in 30 + degrees and extreme humidity, than run with the harsh wait and winter rain, that usually arrives in August in England, lashing my face. 



It turns out that running in the evenings when the temperature still hovers around 35 and the humidity sits heavy in the air like a blanket, is my kind of a challenge and I won’t be defeated by it. Throughout the summer, I have persisted to run outside, with the exception of maybe 2/3 weeks when going outside to run would have been a death sentence. Sure ending a run along the marina in those conditions, inevitably means I look like a puffy, not to mention sweaty, tomato and I certainly keep the security guards in my building amused as I bound through reception. But the inner satisfaction i get from taking on the Marina Walk is worth all the redness! 

I am making a real conscious effort to move, especially now the weather is what I can only describe as heavenly for November. I certainly feel the benefits both in my physical and mental wellbeing, of generally being more active. Part of my push on this quest was having the pleasure of getting to know some pretty cool and hugely inspirational dudes who have taken the simple concept of movement and ramped it up a notch with rewards from some of the coolest companies in Dubai. I mean come on…. give me a free Taqado Burrito for simply moving more and il be your biggest advocate. 

Styck App is my iPhones most loved application and i find myself checking it a regular intervals to see how many steps i have racked up. And while I'm not competitive with others, it seems Styck app has brought out my need to compete with myself, encouraging me to move more tomorrow, to add another day of 7,000 plus steps to my streak. Or maybe its just the free burrito spurring me on. 

It’s such a simple thing, being able to monitor my movement so effortlessly and hold myself accountable but it works.


Whether it is that free burrito, the accomplishment i feel in myself or the notion that I'm not getting any younger and my body needs to be more of a temple, I am more active and healthy in Dubai than i have been ever in my life. Which given the  sheer amount of amazing food options in Dubai and my inability to resist, is somewhat of a miracle! 

8 comments:

  1. hello Mimi, I've been reading your blog for a while now since I know my wife and I will be moving to Dubai end of january. I already enjoyed reading about your dog tips as we also will take our 2 dogs with us, and now I'm glad you wrote this running story, because I also like to run, for about the same reasons as you, and I was afraid that running outside would only be possible in winter. Thanks for the information and keep posting !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a great and motivational blog you have shared here with us I really like your content it is really very inspiring for me. Thanks for such a nice post. Keep sharing more with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and informative on VPN reviews. We are also working with it. Please Visit:

    vivienne westwood ladies watches
    swarovski jewelry sets
    olivia burton bee watch

    ReplyDelete
  4. its good to read your blog the content is awesome hope to see such more from you in future

    life skils

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Love Article. You can also visit Manch Relationship for Realationship Articles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog I Have Read Your Blog It Is Very Useful For Me Thank you for posting and sharing such great information.can you help me in finding out more detail on How to Create Personal Goal Tracker .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funds Recovery/Cryptocurrency / Recovery of Stolen bitcoin / Bitcoin Mining/ Increase your Credit score/ MOBILE SPY REMOTE CONTROL ACCESS AUTHORIZATION. Removing Bad Records from Both Public and Private database  Direct Call Phone Number and WhatsApp contact: +1 (519) 398-1460 Email: wizardcharles@consultant.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you too in Spanish
    If it is specifically about replying to someone and saying I love you too in Spanish then yes there are multiple ways for that. We can say that your reply in Spanish would depend on a lot of factors.
    i love you in spanish

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!