Tuesday 16 September 2014

how I spend my expat days in Dubai

As a new expat in Dubai, I never imagined I would find such an amazing job as the one I have. I spent the first few weeks in the apartment, in the air conditioning with only the dog for company. And then bam. All of a sudden I landed a job at Ripe and rather quickly, this whole moving to Dubai thing clicked into place. 



Ripe provides the resident's of the UAE with organic fresh fruits and veggies, hand-picked from local farms. I know what you're thinking...the UAE has farms?! I was a little shocked too since I thought this desert land wouldn't be able to produce much but let me tell you, the flavour of stuff coming from the ground here is unbelievable. 

I work in an office in the warehouse. It isn't glamorous, but it doesn't need to be. I love that everyday I can see, touch, smell and more importantly photograph all the delicious stuff we sell. As soon as the warehouse doors fly open and a whole bunch of our warehouse guys start shouting in various dialects, I know a a delivery is here and I can run downstairs, camera in hand and snap away. And it's not just fresh stuff; it's all those yummy gluten free treats and snacks and superfoods that you read about in womens health magazine. 

I have turned into a health foodie since starting work at Ripe. I am surrounded everyday by delicious organic fruits and veggies and superfoody things like chia seeds, kale and goji berries. Who knew I was a chia seed kinda gal!?








Every day is different. I get to write press releases, oversee artwork for the uber cool Ripe Food & Craft Markets, talk to press, arrange interviews, photograph beautiful fresh fruit and veggies, interact with our customers on social media and develop brand communication. It is, essentially, my perfect job! And who would have thought I would of found it here in Dubai. 

But you know the best bit (here is when we get emotional), I have found people I click with. I have found some of the nicest people that inhabit Dubai and I get to spend my days with them. 

Oh and I don't want to brag but going back to those uber cool markets I mentioned....Ripe do the coolest farmers markets in Dubai and this season I get to be a part of that, something which I am incredibly excited about. I am a bit like a kid at Christmas! But everyday is my Christmas. 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi!

    A warm welcome to Dubai. It looks like it's suiting you well too. It's great to know you're settling down and enjoying your time in the city. If you ever happen to swing by the capital in Abu Dhabi, do let me know. We could meet over Falooda.
    Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sayana, thank you and yes I seem to have settled in rather well. Better than I could have ever expected. I will actually be contacting you soon about some work related stuff in Abu Dhabi but I will be sure to let you know when I am there also and we can meet up! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like your perfect job. I think it would be so much easier to eat healthy and nourish your body if you were always around these healthy things. I can't wait to read more posts about this wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!