Sunday 3 August 2014

Beauty: keeping frizz at bay with Herbal Essence and John Frieda

When you move to a new country you will find that certain areas of your life have to adapt to your new surroundings. This extends to your beauty routine. Dubai is notoriously hot and humid and it definitely took a few days to get over the extreme change in climate, especially for my hair! But after a month, I have found a great combination of products (nothing pricey or fancy) that are really helping to keep the frizz at bay. 


First things first, if you're going to fight frizz, you need a powerful shampoo and conditioner duo. Crammed with pink lilly and Asian silk extract, the Herbal Essences Silky Straight collection not only smells amazing, but has worked wonders for my hair. I have been using both the shampoo and conditioner for a little over a month and my hair is noticeably straighter and the frizz situation post-wash is more manageable. I've also noticed my hair isn't as dry (a miracle considering the sun and chlorine that have been pounding my tresses since I arrived) so this is duo is adding much needed moisture and nourishment to my mane. 

When my hair is still wet, I spritz a little protecting spray to keep from damaging my hair (too much) and this VO5 has quickly become a favourite of mine. I was using a Pantene heat protection spray and then a lovely friend gifted me with this VO5 Heat Protect Styling Spray and the rest is history. The smell compliments the shampoo and it isn't heavy nor does it leave a crispy feeling to my hair. The VO5 styling spray offers great protection from my daily straightening, with my locks staying shiny and even looking healthy despite the new climate. 

The Frizz Ease Touch Up Cream by John Frieda has been a favourite of mine for a long time. Despite the light texture, it offers great control and it's packed with avocado oil which seems to calm my hair and add a shiny appearance to my otherwise dry locks. A little goes a long way and there is no long lasting sticky feel; a brush through at the end of the day and almost all cream residue has gone. And it stands up to evening humidity pretty well, with just a few fly-aways by the end of a night on a sweaty roof terrace. Not bad going for a high-street/supermarket product with a modest price tag. 

While I have tried and tested these products on my wavy, frizzy and sometimes curly hair, on those evenings when the humidity reaches 80% nothing will help fight the frizz! Unless you can pull off a baseball cap. 

1 comment:

  1. It’s really hard when you’re moving places with a completely different climate. And the struggles really do extend to your beauty routine, especially if you have naturally frizzy hair. Just a simple ride for an hour or two is enough to mess up the hair, what more moving continents. All the same, I’m glad you know just what to do. You might want to see this article here http://www.restylepro.com/ frizzy hair. Sounds realistic!

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!