Wednesday 26 March 2014

setting the scene: 10 days and counting

Suddenly summer has hit; today I was wearing flip flops. Yes that's right, flip flops. The sky is blue, the sun is shining and the whole of Cyprus smells like orange blossom because in Cyprus there are orange trees everywhere! You know how in England we have those boring trees lining the streets. Well in Cyprus they have orange trees. Makes the sunny days feel like your inside of a washing machine. 

The apartment is getting emptier by the day. I have deep cleaned my wardrobe and been particularly ruthless; if it hasn't been worn in the last 6 months it isn't coming with me. Which means half my wardrobe went in the bin yesterday. Well at least now I have an excuse to hit H&M when I return to London. 

The bookshelves, the tv, the microwave, our dining table and lamps, frames and prints have all been scooped up and distributed to their next homes. There are two suitcases sitting in the spare room, ready to come out as soon as the pooch is off on her travels next week, because she knows what a suitcase is and what happens when the suitcases come out so the less trauma the better. Needless to say the spare room is strictly out of bounds for her. 

In just 10 days I leave this little island in favour of another. I am scared, excited and anxious all at the same time. These are the tough emotions I should be used to by now. Expat life is a mixed bag and the sooner you get on board with those emotions and ride them like the wave they are, the better. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm also a 20 something Kiwi expat whose just moved to Limassol for my partners job, making this our third year of international placements. I've just come across your blog which gives me some great reading for an honest expat opinion of life in cyprus, especially from someone my age. Although I'm sad there won't be any future posts about life on the island, your new move sounds very exciting. Good Luck!

    I was wondering if you had any tips on adjusting to life and finding work in Cyprus? I'm currently job hunting for a role in Marketing or something relatively related, but am finding it difficult, especially with the blatant crisis here.

    On life on the island, how did you adjust to the way of doing things here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for stopping by the blog. Great to hear from a likeminded lady.
      Drop me an email at miriamfinerty@gmail.com or on facebook and we can talk more about expat life in Cyprus.

      You can also see old posts by the expat life and cyprus tabs in the sidebar on the right.
      xxx

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!