Wednesday 19 February 2014

a thought

Everyday I think about my mum. I know she would be proud of the person I have become, but I always have these little niggling thoughts in my brain; like what advice would she give me, what relationship would we have and would she have like the dress I wore. Well she would have loved today's dress for the pattern and the colour but all the other questions often go unanswered. 

I know from others that I am a lot like my mum. I share her organised, calm and considerate nature,  I share her neat handwriting, I share her perfectionist tendencies, I share her sense of humour and I share her ticklish spot; the soles of my feet if you're wondering. 

What sparked this post? A simple conversation about arguments with mothers and how roles play out; daddy's girl and mummy's boy. 

I don't recall ever having an argument with my mum, unless you count me throwing a tantrum in Tesco because she wouldn't let me put chocolate cookies in the shopping cart. My childhood was blissful in so many ways. I didn't come from a wealthy family, but I never felt like I missed out on anything, mainly because there was so much love in our house. And the fact that my mum was pretty creative and would knock out a little sewing project here and there and make cookies and do arts and crafts etc. 

I never got to experience that turbulent relationship most girls have with their mums at some point in their lives. I went through my teenage years in a house with men and although it had it's downsides, part of me is very glad. Because I have nothing negative to say about my mum. I never got so annoyed with her that I said horrible things. I never shouted at her. And I never had any of those cringey conversations in the middle of boots about lady products. Sure I had to figure out a lot of stuff on my own, probably the reason i'm so independent now, but you do what you have to do in a situation. 

What is it they say, when life hands you lemons make lemonade.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!