Monday 19 August 2013

breakfast is more than cereal

Sometimes I am bored with breakfast. 

I know admission of the century right!?! I love eating, yes. But food so early in the morning can get to be a bit of a tedious must-do not a want-to. And I think it's because my breakfast routine has always been somewhat dull. First it was toast and peanut butter until I realised that bread brings out the inevitable bloat in me. Next it was Ryvitas with Philadelphia but there are only so many days in a row that you can get enthused about a piece of brown cracker-bread and some cream cheese. Then it was cereal. 

I think the problem is I get bored of these options. So in an effort to mix things I up I channeled inspiration from two places; a bar and a friend. 


These super yummy and nutritious egg muffins are great for breakfast. I love eggs in general - my favourite breakfast is scrambled eggs on toast with grilled tomatoes, but oh so impractical for work. So these are perfect. A friend made them first as a picnic item but they work great for the mornings also. I added courgette, red pepper and bacon to mine, as well as a little  cheddar cheese. 



I followed this recipe because I'm not so confident in the kitchen when it comes to baking; a little guidance always goes a long way!

A slightly lighter breakfast option came about from a trip to this little bar; along with your cocktail they serve little plates of apple, dusted with cinnamon and smothered with honey and raisons. Seriously its like an apple pie without the pastry (undoubtedly the best bit but nevertheless a little heavy for the morning right?). 

But as a breakfast item I find it's great for those hot, sweaty August mornings here in Cyprus when all you want is a ice cold coffee. And it's super easy to prepare; chop apple as desired, sprinkle with cinnamon, throw over some raisons and add as little or as much as you want. Pick up fork and eat.
If you need more substance, throw in a couple of oat cookies on the side. In Cyprus we have some great options so im sure you can find some yummy oat cookies with berries or something to go perfectly on the side. 



Any ideas for other breakfast alternatives to mix it up a little bit? 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I might have to try it out, although I'll have to figure out how to do it in a cast iron pot...off grid living, no oven!
    Lately, for breakfast, I've been having an all-organic smoothie made of a handful of spinach, frozen bananas, frozen blueberries, a scoop of peanut butter, almond milk, and a splash of vanilla extract. Quick, delicious, nutritious - and you don't even taste the spinach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW sounds yummy. Im not sure how I feel about drinking my breakfast though.
      I never really like smoothies before but maybe I will give them another go.
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

comments are greatly appreciated!!