Wednesday 22 May 2013

blog everyday in May - My rant!

My rant was originally going to be focused on manners and how people lack them. Then today when I was walking the dog I was nearly ran over 3 times, yes 3 times so I decided to rant about drivers in Cyprus and their lack of awareness for pedestrians. 

And then I flicked onto the BBC news website and read about the horrific incident that took place in London this afternoon and decided this post would be a better place to talk about the meaningless violence that occurred this afternoon. 

I grew up in London and remember as a kid, playing in the street on a summer evening, running around in shorts and flip flops with the neighbours kids without a care in the world. My mum would occasionally come and check on us to make sure no bones were broken and no fights over barbie had errupted, but all in all we were left to enjoy our childhood play time. 

As I got older, London has become less safe every year. I am now 25 and everytime I return to London, I am constantly thinking about the dangers. In my head I am always aware of where I am, who is around me and what possessions I have on display. Because in London, anyone can be a victim. 

I think the thing that makes me the most upset and in fact angry, is the way people are more and more, using violence to express themselves. I kind of horrifies me that in such a dynamic and technologically advanced country such as the UK, people can be so barbaric. 

And it's always the innocent people that suffer. A man today, who might be a soldier (this hasn't been confirmed yet) was run over by a car and then attacked in daylight, with a machete. Its possible the incident was a terrorist attack with political or religious motivations. 

One of the things I love about London is the diversity; the huge mix of cultures and nationalities and lifestyles that all combine to make London such an exciting and eclectic place. But its those same things, that are increasingly fragmenting the country. I don't live through rose-tinted glasses and know that the world is an awful place where bad things happen everyday and every one can't get along. 

But it makes it so much more real when it's on your doorstep right!?

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. Just seen the news! Shocking and terrible attack in London today, my home city. How can people be so evil.

    I too have the memories of my London childhood - hours spent outdoors with friends with no adult supervision. Children are deprived of this these days.

    ReplyDelete

comments are greatly appreciated!!