Tuesday 25 September 2012

finding comfort in carbs

Last week I was eating fresh fish, this week its Shepherds Pie. That post holiday feeling has been hitting home today and eating is my therapy. Cue a nice home-made English dish like Shepherds Pie. Packed with pork mince, onions, carrots and peas and topped with mashed potato and sprinkle of good old cathedral city mature cheddar cheese, it's the perfect comfort food for a cold and rainy day, or a Monday back at work. 

I don't really follow a recipe because I used to watch my mum make this all the time, so I just throw a load of ingredients together until it tastes like my brain remembers. 

First step is to fry the onions until they have the shiny almost see through thing happening and then throw in the pork mince. Once the its a light brown colour add tomatos (the easiest thing to do is grate them), boiled carrots parsely. I also add a bit of marmite, something my mum always did. Then add the peas.


Once its all mixed together and has a golden brown creamy texture, pour into a baking dish and top with a nice thick layer of mash potato. 



Finally add cheddar cheese on top of the potato and put in a preheated oven for around 30 minutes of until the cheese is golden brown. Great on its own or I love with broccoli. 





Carbs and comfort food make everything better don't they!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are greatly appreciated!!